Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

Putting Preachers in their Place by Mark Driscoll

Listened to this: http://assets.theresurgence.com/files/audio/mark_driscoll_2008-02-25_audio_tnc_putting_preachers_in_their_place.mp3

Note: I really actually like Mark Driscoll, although it doesn't really show here. I think we have a few slight differences in how we define: preaching & church.

God is the first preacher in Genesis 1.

I just have a difference of opinion... Preaching is totally necessary, but is MD really insisting we need a 30 minute sermon during a church service. What about a small group Bible study that 'proclaims' God's word to those involved?

MD calls Jesus' response to Satan 'a sermon'... I would agree, but it doesn't at all resemble what he is doing right now. I think we agree... MD just is REALLY passionate about the terms 'preaching' and 'sermons'.

(He's been yelling this entire time!) :) My feelings are getting hurt. :)

"Seeker insensitivity is as hot as ever!"

I just can't call Acts 2 a sermon. I can call it preaching... but personally I have too much experience of a sermon being expositional, topical, etc... and I don't see Peter doing that. This preaching was completely evangelistic.

Ecclesiology not widely debated. Assumed but not defined.
1000 years without definition of church.

Why did MD not use THE BIBLE to define the church? Really? He started quoting church fathers and reformers... but not THE BIBLE!!??

I love the use of 'ekklesia'- "the gathering" - great descrption of it.

What constitutes a rightly gathered church? Great question... but he quoted Calvin, Lutheran/Oxford confession, Articles of Church of England, and more. The answers are good.. and I agree... but define it through the BIBLE!

He literally has not quoted one verse to define ecclesiology. None. I love the reformers, but seriously! (His ideas are right-on!... but they are not specifically from the Bible, instead it is reformers, and past church history.)

There is some challenges here that makes me think about how you include Biblical authority, qualified leadership, church discipline, and repentance in a Jesus Community.

Discussion of "Pagan Christianity"

Focus on 'defining church'... It is a good thing to do. We need to define Church.

I agree with his ending: We are all called to the 'proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ.'

No comments: